A year in India

Not actually a year but 11 months. An account of my stay in India. Many of my friends and colleagues suggested that I keep them up to date - now I can see how many of them are really interested!!!

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Usually BA are quite efficient but this is India!

hi all,

A pretty short post as it's late and I want to sleep as a vast quantity of work awaits me this week (yikes). Recently I booked my flights home for Christmas. Booking was fine - paying was a different matter. Here is the letter I wrote to BA. Suffice to say I was very very cross (cross at the incident and even crosser than India brings out the grumbler in me that I had well under control for many years). To be fair to BA; even in the midst of inefficency, they were very pleasant


Dear Sir/Madam

I recently went on to BA.com to book a flight from India to Europe over Christmas. I had a good on-line experience as I have had with ba.com when booking from other countries. However there was no possibility to pay online. A number was provided for me to call to make payment. I called it but it was closed only having limited office hours (starting at 9.30 am). Since I am working I was obliged to call during work hours. When I first called I was on hold for 25 minutes. When I finally talked to somebody, she was unable to accept my credit card as there was a GBP 300 limit on American express. After some debate she was going to try something. However the message came that the card has been rejected. I said I would call back later with another credit card. I asked what time of the day was less busy and I was informed that mornings were less busy, so I called back the next day at 9.30. However I got the message that the office was closed and continued to get this message until 9.35. Then I was put on hold for 20 minutes, was obliged to give all my details again and this day my American Express card was accepted.


This is not the first time I have tried to book with BA from India. On the other occasions I booked with BA via expedia.com or traveled with KLM. I was tempted also on this occasion to travel with KLM but unfortunately their price was more than 50,000 more so I decided to stay with BA.

I do not understand why you cannot accept online bookings as your peers do. Furthermore I am shocked that I spent one hour of my life trying to give your company money. As BA is a global company I expected 24 hour service not 10 hours during which time I am at work. Additionally a credit limit of GBP 300 is ridiculously low – there are few flights out of India costing less than this!!!

Only if, as in this case, the price is considerably lower will I choose to book with BA from India which is a pity as I find your in-flight service excellent.

I would be grateful if you could reply this grievance.

Kind regards

Helen (last name excluded from blog for privacy purposes)

PS – I attempted twice to submit this information via your website but failed as an “incident type” and Flight number are required fields but I was unable to complete them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Triple exclamation marks??? Delighted that you are putting in so much labour to come and visit your loving sister and her family.

15 October, 2006 13:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope some of the effort is also to see friends :-) Really glad you are booked and coming home for Christmas. Looking forward to a proper catch up on all I have missed not on the blog.
L

23 October, 2006 19:41  
Blogger Sandra said...

I hate BA above all other modes of transport. The flights are good and the cabin crew, meals etc. are definitely above average, but their customer service people are shite. And extremely rude.
So I try not to give them any of my money!

23 November, 2006 20:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home