A year in India

Not actually a year but 11 months. An account of my stay in India. Many of my friends and colleagues suggested that I keep them up to date - now I can see how many of them are really interested!!!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

More detail on Indian work permit application

My sister suggested I also include the email I sent to the legal department of my company. She seemed to think my last paragraph was hilarious!! Please read the earlier post "why I haven't been posting" first!

Looks like next week I will be working from our office in Munich. I'm looking forward to it. I used to live in Munich so it'll be nice to catch up with old friends. Only problem with this plan is now I cannot legitimately go to Munich for work in July.

Dear x,

Thanks for your quick response. Today I went in person to the embassy in Dublin. I was able to talk (via telephone) with the person handling my work permit application. I asked him for his name but he refused to give it saying that I did not need to know his name. Basically he would not tell me anything except that the application is in process. I put it very strongly to him that I needed to know how long it would take but he refused to say nor give any information about what steps remained in the process, only that it was Indian internal embassy procedures and these could not be shared. He said I should wait to make any travel plans until the work permit is granted. FYI my brother submitted the application on my behalf on May 8th (I was still in Delhi at that time)


My contact in the Irish department of foreign affairs also spoke to the Indian embassy. She will telephone again tomorrow (she is ambassador level so hopefully she should have some influence but she did say the Indian embassy in Ireland had caused problems in the past even for quite senior government officials). She recommended I stay in Ireland and not to enter India until this situation has been resolved. She also recommended that I contact the Minister for trade in Ireland who happens to be my TD (Irish congressman) to see if he can help.

I think it would be good if you could also contact them as quite frankly I did not get very far on my own. I can be contacted on xyz and am also checking email. I have changed my flight to leave over the weekend. The project is at a pretty critical phase and there is only so much I can do from Ireland (or indeed anywhere that is not India).

If it is any help I took down two names and email addresses – Mr. TC - and Mr. M.C. N There was a notice saying one could direct any comments/complaints to these people. I do not plan to do so right now as I think it may not help especially as I think I was talking to TC

Please let me know your thoughts on this matter. Many thanks

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear - how awful!! And I thought I had problems with the US Embassy before... this sounds like the worst. Hope you are enjoying your time in Cork and this isn't stressing you too much! At least you have work options, even if not ideal. Munich should be great and hope you get to catch up with old friends. I have happy memories of my visit to you there.
Take care and enjoy the European food and weather, before long you will be back in India!

23 June, 2006 17:08  
Blogger Izzie said...

Namaste Helen, My name is Isabelle. My dad is an ex Brussels collegue of your sister Anne and he forwarded me your blog to have a look at it seeing as I have also been to India. I was there for 2 months in Autumn of last year and enjoyed an unforgetable experience. Some of your exeriences ring farmiliar, in particular your experiences with Indian beurocracy. But these can be entertaining if you see it from the funny side which someimes you have to. I hope you enjoy your stay, it is hard not to. You are welcome to take a look at my blog also. All the best, Isabelle

25 June, 2006 08:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home