A year in India

Not actually a year but 11 months. An account of my stay in India. Many of my friends and colleagues suggested that I keep them up to date - now I can see how many of them are really interested!!!

Sunday, April 02, 2006

More inefficiency

The inefficiency continues. I really did not plan to be a feature of my blog but it is unavoidable. Yesterday (Tuesday) I received 3 calls from the moving company to agree a time. Each time I proposed had to be confirmed with the warehouse, a new time proposed by them then discussed with me. I suppose given that process that I am lucky it only took 3 calls. To be fair, perhaps the problem is that there is nobody in my apartment all day – in India it’s quite common to have a maid or security who can take care about such things. Anyhow we agreed on 8.00 as I have a meeting at 10.00 (actually I told them 09.30 as any time here can be give or take (usually take) 30 minutes). So at 9, I still have not heard from them. My driver had arrived so I went down to tell him to collect my visiting colleague and to collect me afterwards. Lo and behold, the moving company were there – 3 men asleep in the front of the truck. My driver went to talk to them in Hindi. They say they must wait there until the supervisor comes at 10.00. resigned I tell my driver to leave. Then the movers decide they can actually move my 7 items (it’s not significant moving – only some books and clothes). As they deliver my stuff there is an abundance of paperwork to sign – at least half of which seems not to be relevant to my case. In any case all my stuff arrived (except my computer mouse which appears to have vanished). Despite being finished with me, the van continued to wait outside. I finally left at 10.00, arriving at the office at 10.30 – I suppose being half an hour late is almost being on time in India.

I’m not sure if the next example is inefficiency but it’s certainly annoying. On Saturday morning I stayed home as one of the people from the relocation agency was supposed to come to get the gas installed and get the cable TV installed. I was told it would take between 1 hour and 1 ½ hours. 11.00 was the agreed time. Mindful of the different clock used in India, I asked my driver to come at 14.00. At 11.00 no sign, at 11.15 no sign, as 11.30 I call my contact and leave a message. At 11.45 Francis from the relocation agency arrives (there are a few Indians with western names – most of these are Christians, usually from the west or south of India). He needs to take a copy of my passport, my visa, my lease and a letter from my company to get the gas connection. I have only copies made of my passport and lease (foolish Helen obviously for not realizing you need copies of everything!!!). He goes off to get copies asking if I will be here until 12.30. I say yes I plan to be here until 14.00. He returns witht eh copies makes a few phone calls and says he’ll be back soon (it’s now 12.00). I’m busy pottering (as my friend Kathy would say) – unpacking boxes, washing dishes, doing Sudoku, making a few phone calls. At 13.00 no sign. At 13.30 no sign, so I call the relocation agency, they tell me Francis will call. At 14.00 my sister calls I relate the story to her. It’s now 14.30 so I can the relocation agency again who tell me Francis is detained. I say how much longer will it be as I have plans. They say don’t disturb your plans but tell us when you will be back (like my plans aren’t already disturbed!!). anyhow we agree we will resume the activities at 18.00. I go off and have a frightfully productive afternoon purchasing fascinating things like teatowels, clothes rack, Diet Coke. I am sure I pay seriously more than an Indian would but I am learning to accept being overcharged. It’s about the same price or a bit cheaper than Chicago. I guess there are a lot of foreigners in Delhi as one can buy decidedly non-Indian things like Nutella, Ribena, weetabix, Betty Crocker cake mixes. I bought some Ribena – I used to drink it a lot but haven’t had any for about 5 years. It’s very nice and full of vitamin C – also full of calories and bad for teeth but you can’t have everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home