A year in India

Not actually a year but 11 months. An account of my stay in India. Many of my friends and colleagues suggested that I keep them up to date - now I can see how many of them are really interested!!!

Friday, May 05, 2006

A miracle - I have internet at home. Also surprising things about India

For the last 3 hours I've had internet at home. It's wonderful. Also it means I can post this entry I prepared earlier (just like those TV cooks!!)


Unexpected things about India (in no particular order)

• It’s not that cheap for many things – notable example hotel rooms are higher than New York or Chicago. One extreme example is Bangalore were a colleague paid $450 a night and it wasn’t even such a great hotel. But the average for a Marriott-type hotel is $200 - $250 then there are all sorts of taxes and services fees on top of that
• Men urinating everywhere – and making absolutely no attempt at modesty or privacy
• The number of cows
• Cows eating rubbish at the site of the street
• Temporary makeshift homes no more than a few square meters, constructed out of sticks and blue plastic. It’s amazing to think people live there – but more amazing to see that many of them have TV sets! (the electricity wires are cut and fed into the homes illegally)
• Power cuts – for hours at a time; many homes and business have generators to compensate
• Almost impossible to buy tampons
• People ask “Please let me know your good name, sir”
• You can go whitewater rafting on the Ganges
• Most women wear traditional dress
• People (mainly men) waiting at the side of the streets for no particular reason and with no apparent purpose (a friend suggested there could be drivers; a reasonable suggestion)
• My driver says things like “Would madam like to go to market” I hate being called madam and being questioned in the 3rd person is just weird
• The definition of considerate. We had been on a very long bus journey, about 10 people were singing loudly while about 20 tried to sleep. Eventually at 11.30 I asked the minority to stop singing. My Indian colleague explained to me that Indians were very considerate as they did not complain that they could not sleep. I, of course define the 10 singers as being incredibly inconsiderate
• I don’t find the people polite – they speak in fancy antiquated language but basically have no concern for your comfort or place no value on your time
• Airtel has 6 million internet subscribers in Delhi!
• Foreigners have to pay more to enter national monuments (about 10 times more) or to travel by plane (about double)
• Plastic surgery is big business here
• Arranged marriages are the norm. Even “love marriages” need parental approval – my colleague told me “I was lucky my parents approved that I could marry a girl from another religion” (both are Hindu but one drinks alcohol and the other not and some other differences that didn’t seem so big to me)
• Extended families often live together
• Despite a serious lack of women at work, there are quite a few women in senior positions
• Practically everybody aged 30 or more is married. I am a complete anomaly here (but I would not be if I were a man)
• Everybody talks at the same time
• The concept of queuing up for something doesn’t seem to exist. Though as discussed previously the concept of waiting is integral to the Indian culture!
• Even the Indians get Delhi belly. Our HR manager told me he assumes people will miss 2-3 days per month (that’s every employee, every month) because of illness! Just as well there’s a lot of people here!
• It’s cheaper to hire a person to stick labels to letters than pay for self-adhesive labels (or at least this was the case when my landlady worked in an Indian office a few years ago)
• There is no attempt to make India look even remotely inviting at the international airports. Delhi and Bangalore are both shabby and dirty with limited toilet facilities
• When booking train tickets, they insist upon knowing your age. My last train ticket is issued not to my name but to a 30-year-old female!!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger islaygirl said...

you don't know me from adam, but i'm here via waffle, and i realize this sounds oh-so-colonial, but HOW DO THE WOMEN MANAGE WITHOUT TAMPONS? and CAN I SEND YOU A CASE OF TAMPAX? Though something tells me that the mails in India may be an issue.

05 May, 2006 21:03  
Blogger Helenholiday said...

Hi islaygirl,

I've read your blog a few times so I guess we're not complete strangers. Fortunately I am well stocked with tampons - they're on the shopping list for every trip outside India. (but thanks for the offer :-))I'm amazed that you can't get them here (I did see a dusty pack once hidden away on a upper shelf but they were non-applicator which is not my style).

It's also impossible to find tampons in China (a Chinese colleague explained to me that they were unhygienic - go figure!!). This means probably 50% of the world's women don't even know what tampons are. I find it very weird.

07 May, 2006 20:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of things i did not know. Still waiting on the epic retelling of your dental adventures

08 May, 2006 04:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you make it to the Taj Mahal?

08 May, 2006 12:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Islaygirl I am a complete stranger to you, but I sort of know your sister in a bloggy way. I just want to say that the women of your family are fabulous and I think that statues should be erected in your honour all across the world. I'm very much enjoying your blogging.

17 May, 2006 14:00  
Blogger Thejas Rajaram said...

Pardon me for stumbling across your blog....

I am an Indian, from down south, Bangalore.

I like your narration style...though it does have an element of cribbing :D

I would suppose you are an american, and were only told great stories about the Indian IT acheivements and stuff.


Just one thot...the driver would say 'Would madam want to go the market' in the 3rd person tone, for being polite. This is inherited from the times of when Britishers ruled this country. Don't hate him for that. He is trying to be polite only. :-)

Have fun.

15 September, 2006 23:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home